Wednesday, August 25, 2004

The scary cord, continued.

Geez, this thing just gets more and more horrible. Why don't they tell you that not only does the cord fall off in 10 days to 2 weeks, but that in about a week it's going to smell like roadkill (albeit smelled at a distance of 20 feet)? I showed it to my boss today (who's got a 9-month-old), and she said it looked normal, so I guess that's alright. And it's going to fall off soon, I can tell, but nevertheless, whatever gods exist, hear my prayer:

Please fall off soon, please fall off soon, please fall off soon...

This does not bother Christine at all, despite the fact that before his birth her sense of smell was good enough to sniff for drugs and bombs at the airport. I wonder if nature diminishes the mother's sense of smell after birth so that she still loves her child despite his stinky nature. It probably helps that babies tend towards cute, too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't recall there ever being a smell with the cord.
Wait till the poo poo starts smelling.
MOM

Dave said...

Mom: I'm hoping to have him potty trained by then.

Marjie said...

Wow, Davey, that will save you a bundle of money!

Anonymous said...

Hello Dave & Christine!!!
Oh my God(s), what a cute kid! Christine, are you sure Dave is the father? Congratulations to you all. I've been on vacation for the past week and have not checked my email at all (try it, it is refreshing), so I'm still catching up on all that I missed. I love the blog, keep it up, it's priceless. Loved the photo of Dave eating his new baby..,DSS should be contacting you shortly.

Isn't being a parent like going to college for the firast time? When he first arrived, you thought "Oh, this is going to be easy!", Then your grades at mid-terms came in (the first "crying for no reason that you can understand") and you realized that getting good grades takes up a lot of your energy and time. But it is worth it, because life has taken on new meaning.

Don't worry about the cord Davey, he'll have a cute little belly button in no time. By the way, if you (for some morbid reason) "save" the cord, please never show it to me in person. I don't want to see it, no matter how endearing that little piece of meat may be to you both.

I love you both and will live vicariously through your blog (I'm too old to have another baby, but would if I could - I don't want to be geriatric when my child is a teenager), and wish you and the Xman great happiness!

Sincerely, Glenn

Frank said...

Etler(s),
The cord is a strange thing. While Ben's didn't stink, his belly button did 'ooze' for about a week (maybe 2) after the cord fell off. I guess it's normal, but it's still a little disconcerning when your infant is oozing small amounts of goop from his belly button.

Dave said...

Glenn: I was beginning to think you didn't care. Anyway, I think mid-terms have yet to happen. The crying from the other day was just a pop quiz. I'm pretty sure that in a month or so, when he starts doing things other than lying there and pooing, he'll start handing out the D's and F's left and right.

Frank: Christine supercrewed his belly-button last night, and it didn't stink this morning. I was able to hold him this morning without wanting to vomit. So, I'd say that's a step forward for Davey/infant relations right there. Maybe she was being too delicate with it, I don't know. Not that that's a criticism, mind you...you'd never see me get close enough to that shrivelled thing to clean it.

tipo126 said...

Friends...this is just the beginning of the smells...