Friday, August 20, 2004

Scary cord.

I confess, the umbilical stump scares the crap out of me. I'm supposed to lift it up and clean around it, except that when I lift, it seems to pull out of his belly a little bit...I'm afraid I'm going to pull it off!

I've read, too, that one isn't supposed to put a baby on his belly until the stump falls off in 10 days or so. But, it's okay to hold him such that he's on his belly against our chests. Can you say contradiction?

I noticed last night he had some reddish brown goop at the base, and I freaked out a bit. But after some thought I decided this was probably normal and just needed to be cleaned. It doesn't smell or anything, so it probably isn't infected. What I know about cords is that they are a direct line to the baby's bloodstream, so you gotta be careful.

I hope it falls off sooner rather than later...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave - Some people actually KEEP that umbilical cord once it falls off...I'm thinking you are not one of those people (me either)! Have a great day! Sue Dunn

Dave said...

Sue: Yeah, I know. What I wonder is, what is it that one might get out of keeping the cord? I mean, you've got the cute baby, what more do you need? Frankly, with all the poop and pee he's discarding, a blackened worm of cord stump isn't what I'd call exciting (except that I'd no longer have to think about it). I suppose it's a reminder of the connection between mother and child, but I can't help the image that pops into my head: mom furtively gnawing on a little piece of baby jerky at 3 a.m.

Okaaay, little peek into my psyche there. Let's all just ignore that, and never speak of it again.

Dave said...

Okay, so keeping the cord is not so bad...compared to this

Anonymous said...

So many UNUSUAL customs-- Here is one... I knew someone who used to wipe her face with her newborns wet diapers. Supposed to be very good for the complexion....????
Mom

Dave said...

Oh, God. I'm over diaperphobia, but that's just too much.

Christine said...

So...if I had had a lotus birth, does that mean I would have buy a twin stroller?

Marjie said...

Maybe there should be a Lotus Day Day for a Lotus Day Birth, which could be celebrated on Lotus Day's Birthday! Got that?? The page was interesting until I started feeling like I would gag. No thanks! The mother goes through enough in the 9 months not to mention childbirth. The baby might come out normal when she grows up, but what about the 2 year old sister given the responsibility of taking care of the baby's placenta? That's several boats for a psychotherapist, not just a boat payment!

When Sophie was a week old, she scratched her cord, and there was BLOOD trickling! I rushed her right to the doctor's office and was freaking out, but apparently it really wasn't a big deal. So, Davey, keep Aiden's nails cut. A small nip on the fingertip is far less traumatic for a new parent than a bloody cord!

Marjie

Marjie said...

PS: I will never eat beef jerky again! Thanks. I am rethinking having mandarins, too.