Sunday, February 06, 2005

Reduplicative Canonical Babble!

So, yesterday, Dave and Aizay are talking-and up to this point, by talking I mean Dave makes different sounds, like simple syllables or vowels or imitations of Aizay's grunts, and then Aizay blows raspberries, then Dave makes another sound, then Aizay makes more raspberries or a squeal, and then back to Dave etc...Yesterday, I wasn't paying attention and Dave yells out, "He said 'baa'! Did you hear it?" I didn't hear it so I come over and Dave tries to get him to do it again. At this point, Aizay looks a little bewildered wondering why we are both all up in his face looking excited. Dave proceeds to say "bababa" and Aizay, looking like he has a little stage fright, does nothing. Dave says "bababa" again and then Aizay, still looking at me quizzically, tentatively moves his mouth as if he is saying "bababa" but he makes no sound. I get very excited anyway and Dave and I shout and celebrate and finally Aizay smiles. As I look back, I realize he must have thought we were nuts. Dave then says "bababa" again and this time Aizay says it back. It's obviously a little difficult for him to do-he curls his bottom lip in all tense (there's a little bit of voiced labial-bottom chin fricative thrown into the voiced bilabial stop). Again, we celebrate, this time with a little more excuberance. Aizay is obviously very pleased with getting this reaction from us, so he continues saying "bababa".

As the day goes by, he occasionally practices his "bababa"s and he quickly progresses from the labored "baa"s of his first performance to "baa"s produced with greater ease. Meanwhile, every chance I get, I get in close to his face and say, "mamama". I want more sounds! Well, by the end of the night, he was saying "mamama" too!

As parents, we are very pleased that Aizay is fulfilling his duties as a baby. We keep reminding him that this is his job right now-to develop his basic motor and language skills. If he continues to do well, he can climb the ladder of success and move on to more challenging jobs like feeding himself, walking, talking in complete sentences, and potty training. Then the sky's the limit. He can eventually get fulfilling positions in kindergarten and elementary school, thus contributing to our family's financial needs by reducing our childcare costs...

Christine

No comments: